Summer is over, so I felt like making something with strawberries one last time, before transitioning into apple pie season. Original recipe here.
- 50 g cold butter or margarine
- 100 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1-2 tsp cold water
For the filling:
- 225 g strawberries
- 25 g sugar
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
Makes 5 tarts. Double the amounts for a regular-sized pie.
Prepare the crust:
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl, then add the butter. Pinch together the butter and the flour mixture until a crumbly dough is formed. Add water and quickly mix with your hands until the dough just holds together. Form into a ball, wrap it in cling film and refrigerate for at least half an hour.
- Divide the dough into 4-5 pieces, and line a mini tart tin with each piece, making sure to cover the edges. Refrigerate again, while dealing with the filling.
- If using fresh strawberries - rinse and hull, and cut into smaller pieces. If using frozen strawberries, allow them to thaw for at least an hour. They don't need to be completely thawed though.
- Add the sugar and the flour to the strawberries and toss to get them evenly coated.
- Divide the filling between the pastries, then refrigerate for another half an hour
- Bake at 200 C for 20-30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or just plain!