Yet another recipe for meatballs :) I couldn't find lamb minced meat at the store, so I made these with beef. They were really good! And I'm actually not that fond of Indian cuisine (more specifically curry). I think it's something about the combination of cinnamon and coconut milk that made me love this dish. Original recipe here.
For the meatballs:
- 400 g minced meat (preferably lamb), at room temperature
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small red chili pepper
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 onion
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garam masala spice mix
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp red pepper
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 dl oil
- 500 g tomato sauce (passata tomatoes/tomato purée)
- 400 g coconut milk
Makes 20 meatballs (3-4 servings)
What to do:
- Finely chop the onion, garlic cloves and chili pepper.
- Combine all the ingredients for the meatballs, and mix by hand.
- Shape 20 meatballs and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the spices for the sauce (cumin, garam masala, cinnamon, red pepper and salt).
- Roast the spices in a large dry pan for a minute or two.
- Add oil to the pan and mix.
- Add the tomato sauce, then carefully place the meatballs on the pan. Try to cover each meatball with a bit of sauce.
- Cover with a lid, and cook on medium heat for about an hour. Stir every now and then.
- Finally, add the coconut milk a little at a time, while stirring. Do not bring to the boil anymore.
Serve with basmati rice!